Tips for taking care of your jewellery.
Jewellery is not indestructible but delicate so it’s important to take care of it:
- Gently rub gold and silver jewellery with a soft, clean cloth to maximise the shine.
- Jewellery set with gems can be brought to life by careful cleaning with a soft brush and soapy water, or with a proprietary jewellery cleaning solution. Try not to get threaded pearl or bead jewellery wet and only wet antique jewellery after specialist advice - you could ruin it.
- Wipe pearls with a soft damp cloth after wearing to remove perfume, hairspray and anything else likely to damage them. Don't use abrasive cleaners on jewellery.
- You can use silver 'dip' type cleaners on most silver jewellery - but rinse and dry them thoroughly. Don't use silver 'dip' type cleaning solutions on gold jewellery, only special jewellery cleaners.
- Keep jewellery carefully stored and separated - not jumbled together in a draw. Keep chains fastened so that they don't get tangled up.
- Take your jewellery off if you’re involved in any activity which could knock or damage it
- Take it off when you go to bed
- Keep it well away from chemicals, especially chlorine. If it does come into contact with chemicals, rinse it in water immediately
- Bathe and apply any lotions or perfumes before you put your jewellery on which can particularly damage stones like pearls or opals